Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Day 2 and some recipes

It's 8:30 PM and I am finding myself hungry at the end of a long day. I worked until 7 and my last bit of food was a banana I ate for a snack just before 3pm. I came home and had a serving of chana saag and some chick-pea potato stew. Not really enough.

I'm trying to decide whether to eat my spare apple (I bought 8 when I need 7) or save it for later this week. I could make an extra serving of grits maybe. Or microwave a potato.... but the apple wins. Definitely the best of my options right now. 

Some folks have been asking for recipes, so here are two. I no longer recall how I came by either of them other than that they were the product of Internet searches, and they may or may not have been changed before I put them on recipe cards... so apologies to my unknown sources. 

Chickpea-Potato Stew
15 oz can chickpeas
3 c. stock or water
1 pound potatoes, chopped into bite size pieces
1 15 oz can tomatoes
2 t. garam masala
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. turmeric
3 T cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

1) Boil water or stock. Add chickpeas, potatoes, tomatoes, garam masala, ginger, and turmeric. Simmer for 30 minutes. 

2) Put half in a blender or food processor and add back to thicken (or mash or use hand blender)

3) Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro and serve. 

Chana Saag
15 oz can chickpeas
10 oz fresh spinach
1/2 c. water (or more as needed)
1 c. onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T. minced fresh ginger
2 t. ground cardamom
1/2 t. turmeric
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. garam masala
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. salt
1.5 t. cumin seed
1 t. coriander seed

Saute onion in a large skillet until soft. Add garlic and saute until golden. Add spices and cook for 1 minute. Add chickpeas and 1/2 c. water. Cover and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add spinach, cover and cook until wilted, 1 min. Simmer uncovered till flavors blend, about 10 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment