Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Committing to the Challenge

I am taking the PCUSA's SNAP Challenge during the week of November 17-23, 2013. Based on the challenge guidelines, I pledge to spend no more than $32.14 for a week's worth of food, which is the average allowance for SNAP recipients in my home of Washington, DC. It is time for some sober reflection on how our country treats low income people, especially in this time of reduction in SNAP benefits.

I have known many others who have done this challenge before me. But I chose to take the challenge at this time because my church extended an invitation as part of a season-long reflection on food and faith. It created an opening for me to increase my engagement with hunger issues as both a personal act of faith and a public witness.



No comments:

Post a Comment