Monday, November 18, 2013

Mindfulness

Over the years I have struggled to be more mindful at mealtimes, taking time to slow down, to eat and drink deliberately, to take a moment to be grateful for what is before me. I typically and frequently fail this challenge, caught up in the whirlwind of a life lived at breakneck speed. This fall when Church of the Pilgrims issued a challenge to the congregation as part of its fall series on food and faith to slow down, to reflect, to give thanks, I redoubled my efforts. But as before I didn't last a week trying to form these new habits of awareness and gratitude.

I had a rough day yesterday in which I felt hungry most of the afternoon and went to bed early (at 6:30PM, having eaten dinner at 5) because I felt exhausted and didn't want to stay up only to feel more hungry. I found myself at breakfast this morning contemplating my homemade muesli.  I knew I needed to slow down, to really savor my breakfast. I found myself feeling thankful in a different way now for the sustenance it provides. Perhaps I am able to focus on it better because it is not just one more thing that provides energy and nutrients for my morning, it is THE thing. I can't grab a granola bar on the way out the door or plan to get something with the latte I'm going to buy once I get to work. I have to make time, sit down, and eat what is before me, now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment