Friday, November 22, 2013

Day 6: Keepin' On

Today I continued to walk this walk, one foot in the front of the other. My meals lost their appeal a while ago, and really only apples and eggs tasted good today. Where I was so mindful of muesli on day 2, now I found it helped to distract myself while trying to get food in me at each meal. It would have been a good day to spend that $1.85 I have left on a treat, but I had trouble finding something that I could afford and that seemed worth spending the rest of my budget on.

I wondered what I could possibly be accomplishing here, but I faithfully continued, reminded of a quote from the folk singer Phil Ochs: "It is wrong to expect a reward for your struggles. The reward is the act of struggle itself, not what you win. Even though you can't defeat the absurdity of the world you must make that attempt. That's morality, that's religion. That's art. That's life."

I know my being hungry this week will not end hunger. But it is right to try to live into that hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment